CHERRY TOMATO & LEMON SALAD
*If there is anything more perfect than a summer lunch consisting of ripe, in-season tomatoes and a cold glass of rosé, I don’t know what it is.
- 2 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb mixed cherry tomatoes (about 3 cups), halved or, if large, quartered 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grate zest from 1 lemon and add to a large bowl. Trim ends of both lemons, then stand lemons on a cut side and cut peel, including all white pith, from lemons with a sharp knife (discard peel).
- Cut segments free from membranes, then cut segments in half to create small, bite-size pieces. Add to the bowl with zest and squeeze any remaining juice from the lemons as well.
- Gently stir in the sugar until incorporated.
- Add the onions to the bowl, toss with lemons and let them stand a few minutes. The lemons and sugar will soften the ‘bite’ from the onion.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, toss to incorporate and serve.