For the Romesco:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
- 4 oz roasted Piquillo peppers, drained (or substitute regular roasted red peppers) 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 to 6 thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté garlic cloves in olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes until slightly soft and golden, don’t let burn.
- Add to blender with remaining ingredients and puree until well-blended and smooth adding more olive oil as needed to reach desired consistency. Set aside while you make the chicken.
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with the oil and season both sides well with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken skin-side down in a large, cold cast iron skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook undisturbed until the skin is browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and roast in the oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, serve with Romesco.