*This recipe is great to serve with drinks before dinner or as a packable snack on a picnic or part of a cocktail party menu or to bring tailgating OR atop a salad!
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 2 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed chile flake
- 4 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 cup Extra-Virgin
- Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium non-reactive pan combine vinegar, 1⁄2 cup water, ginger, coriander and fennel seeds and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Set the pickling mixture aside and cool completely.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp.
- Remove from the heat and let cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Drain and submerge in an ice bath.
- Let cool completely then peel and devein the shrimp.
- Put the shrimp in mason jars with the onion, lemon, capers, garlic and bay leaves - pack everything in tightly.
- Whisk olive oil together with chile flake and salt and pepper to taste into the pickling liquid, pour mixture over the shrimp.
- Seal jars and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 days.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.