*For this recipe I really wanted to take something healthy (salad) and make it super indulgent. Enter duck confit and creamy Cambozola cheese (available at our food counter), mission accomplished.
- 1 bunch beets, rainbow preferably
- 1 small apple (any tart, firm variety)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 oz. Triple Cream Cambozola
- 1 leg Duck confit
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Mixed baby greens (as much or as little as you like)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Make Chive Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients through white wine vinegar into a small food processor or blender.
- Blend, adding oil in a slow stream until emulsified.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Trim tops off beets. Roast in a foil packet with a drizzle of olive oil for 1 hour or until tender. Let beets rest until cool enough to handle. Using a paper towel, rub the skins off of the beets. They should slip off easily.
3. Meanwhile, cut apple into matchsticks and mix in some water with the lemon juice to retain their color. Take Cambozola out of the fridge and let it warm to room temp on the counter.
4. Quarter larger beets, leave small beets whole or halved. Put in a bowl with 1 Tablespoon of the Chive Vinaigrette. Toss together gently and set aside while you prep the other ingredients.
5. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add confit duck let and let it heat through, flipping every so often. When warmed through and soft, remove from skillet and shred meat off the bone with a fork. Drain apples and pat dry. Slice cheese into wedges.
6. Arrange salad: start with a bed of mixed baby greens, arrange marinated beets, duck, apple and Cambozola on top, drizzle with vinaigrette, top with pistachios, finish with a crack of black pepper. You shouldn’t need to add salt as the duck and cheese are salty.