SCALLOPS WITH LEEKS & OLIVES
- ¾ cup pitted Castelvetrano olives, roughly chopped
- 1 red Fresno chile, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest plus 2 tsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 large leeks, thinly sliced and cleaned (about 6 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1½ pounds large sea scallops, patted dry
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
- Stir together olives, chile, lemon zest and juice, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste, (the olives are naturally salty so you won’t need much extra seasoning) in a small bowl.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium. Add leeks, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 12 to 16 minutes. Divide mixture among plates.
- Wipe skillet clean. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over high. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add scallops to skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and mostly opaque, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Serve scallops over leeks with olive mixture and parsley leaves.