1/4 cup dry white wine
Pinch of saffron threads
4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 red bell pepper finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth plus more if needed
1 cup short-grain rice such as Arborio
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3/4 cup frozen peas thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine wine and saffron; let stand until ready to use.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip, and cook until golden brown; transfer to a plate.
- Drain any excess oil, leaving 1 teaspoon of oil in the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, red bell pepper and garlic, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in wine-saffron mixture, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the bay leaf. Cook until wine is almost completely evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Add chicken thighs, broth and rice; bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Stir the peas into the rice. Top with parsley and serve.