The village of Rosswag is often forgotten in the conversation about German wines. 99% of grapes go directly to village coops. The other 1% goes to the wines of Olympia and Hannes Roterfaden. They use the old vines, steep slopes, and lack of preconceived notions of what Rosswag wines should taste like, to their advantage.
Winemaker Rafael Tirado is making some wines that we can get behind, and at a great price. Using Riesling, Chardonnay and Semillon, this lightweight wine is refreshing with stunning acidity, crisp orchard fruits, and white flowers. Bring this bottle to your friends dinner party as an aperitif and enjoy!
Winemaker Barbara Öhlzelt practices organic viticulture and produces some of the most powerful Austrian whites in the region. This wine airs on the drier side and has all the acidity you crave from Riesling. This is a perfect example of what Riesling can be from Austria! Cheers!
Emrich-Schönleber may not be the most recognizable producer in Nahe, Germany, but their rieslings are absolutely delicious enough to compete with the big names of the region, with prices you can’t beat for the value. Light, bouncy, and airy, this estate wine will sweep you off your feet.
The vineyards of Donnhoff estate are on the steep, imposing hillsides of the Nahe region in Germany, and have been in the family for over four generations. This off-dry Riesling is a bright expression of the slate and ancient volcanic soils of the area and strikes a perfect balance between subtle sweetness and refreshing acidity.
It’s Lauer tradition to label the bottles not only with the vineyard name, in this case Kern, but also with the barrel in which the wine was made, “Fass 9”. The alignment of the vineyard site and the barrel may assist the natural-yeast fermentation, creating similar populations of yeasts in both environments.
The Wirz vineyard was planted in 1963 just east of the San Andreas fault in California, and this dry riesling is definitely a force. With zero added sulfur and chemical-free farming, this bottle is a wild expression of old-vine California riesling, with zippy minerality and honeyed citrus notes.
With a touch of residual sugar, this off-dry Riesling is filled with notes of sun-kissed ripe citrus, limestone, baking spices, and flint. Winemaker Sierra Reed’s first vintage was 2015 and is showing incredible promise for the future.
We are big fans of Ostertag around here, and this punchy riesling is no exception. Volcanic sediment and pink sandstone make up the soil in the Muenchberg parcel, imparting a steep minerality that cuts nicely through the slight sweetness in this bottle. Try with roast pork or meaty fish for a treat.
This intensely aromatic Clare Valley Riesling has a cult following and we understand why - gorgeous lean structure with a complex floral, fruity, and mineral-driven nose. This wine is bone dry with persistent length, which makes for a memorable, if not legendary, Riesling experience.
The Binner family have been making wine since the late 1700s. Their vineyard sites are located on steep slopes and surrounded by wild nature. They farm without chemical additives and they don’t fine or filter their wines. This blend of Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscat and Auxerrois is aromatic and refreshing.
Food friendly, versatile and perfect with a slight chill. They're BBQ All-Stars.